Nurse Extern PRN Telemetry
Company: HCA Healthcare
Location: El Paso
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Description The Nurse Extern PRN position delivers high quality,
patient-centered care by performing a variety of delegated basic
patient care services related to common nursing functions and
activities of daily living. Under the supervision of the registered
nurse (RN), the Nurse Extern assists the nursing staff in providing
patient care in accordance with the Nurse Extern's skills/training
and the needs of the Department, and consistently assists the
patient care team with maintaining a clean, well-organized, and
safe patient care environment. The Nurse Extern is currently
enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school of nursing
and can perform higher-level procedures once competency is
- Participates in the implementation of nursing care plans by
performing direct and indirect patient care under the supervision
of the licensed nurse.
- Obtains and records initial and ongoing patient information
throughout the cycle of care, including admissions data, vital
signs, height and weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood
glucose levels, intake and output, and calorie counts.
- Documents observations, interactions, patient responses to
performed activities, and any physical or behavioral changes at
time of occurrence. Reports observations of individual patients to
the RN/Team Leader.
- Assists with mobility by regular turning and positioning,
dangling, and ambulating patients. Assists with use of walkers,
crutches, canes, and wheelchairs. Transfers patients to and from
other units, departments, or entities. Assists with discharges.
Demonstrates proper body mechanics.
- Provides or assists with non-medicated support care, including
non-sterile dressing changes, skin protection, application of heat
or ice, oxygen delivery, and venous compression devices.
- Performs non-medicated support tasks, including oral
suctioning, enema, catheterization and foley catheter removal,
drain maintenance, and basic wound care. Increases variety and
difficulty of tasks as competency is verified through nursing
- Obtains or assists in the collection of specimens for
diagnostic or waived tests. Ensures accuracy of all labels and
timely transfer of specimen.
- Retrieves medication from pharmacy, storage room, or tube
system and delivers to licensed staff member as instructed.
- Assists with patient preparation for surgery or other
- Assists patients with activities of daily living to include
eating and drinking, bathing, shaving, oral care, grooming, and
elimination. Changes bed linens as needed.
- Performs hourly rounding and responds promptly to call lights
and patient requests. Strives to anticipate patient needs and
resolve them proactively.
- Follows patient and employee safety/security policies and
protocols, including hand hygiene, use of universal precautions,
use of personal protective equipment, and adherence to isolation
- Prepares and maintains clean, hazard-free patient rooms.
Empties trash and removes soiled linens.
- Assists with patient/family/caregiver learning needs, abilities
and readiness to learn. Identifies barriers to learning, such as
language or culture. Integrates this information into the patient's
plan of care.
- Translates complex medical terminology to ensure
patients/families/caregivers understand patient medical condition,
patient status, treatment plan, medications and possible side
effects, and follow-up measures.
- Educates patients/families/caregivers on healthy diet and
exercise, disease prevention, and/or lifestyle changes that may be
needed once a patient leaves the hospital. Prepares patients and
families/caregivers for future self-management.
- Provides teaching material as needed (pamphlets, video, etc.)
to enhance understanding. Documents each teaching episode.
- Assists with post-mortem care.
- Assists in the setup, removal, and cleaning of equipment.
Identifies malfunctioning equipment and initiates repairs.
- Performs clerical work as needed, including greeting customers,
filing, answering and transferring phones, and relaying
- Prepares and maintains chart, MAR and Kardex on each patient
admitted. Adds documentation forms to chart as needed. Ensures each
form is properly labeled.
- Assists provider in obtaining medical records and diagnostic
- Currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school
of Nursing - Required
- Basic Life Support (BLS) - Required
- 1+ year(s) of nursing school completed - Preferred
Keywords: HCA Healthcare, El Paso , Nurse Extern PRN Telemetry, Healthcare , El Paso, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!