VP Chief Investment Officer
Location: El Paso
Posted on: February 16, 2020
Purpose of JobThe Vice President, Investment Officer, oversees
USAAs investment strategy and portfolios, managing funds whose
underlying assets are managed by third-party/unaffiliated
investment companies or several internal investment teams. The
executive is responsible for functions that encompass both asset
allocation and manager selection decision-making and is accountable
for appropriately assessing and managing all risks associated with
USAAs investment strategy, including financial risk.
The executive leads a team responsible for investment policies and
strategies, asset allocation, benchmark construction, manager
research and selection, and performance attribution for USAA's
insurance, bank, pension, 401(k), and foundations portfolios. The
executive selects, monitors and manages relationships with the
investment managers/teams. The executive also creates risk and
investment guidelines, develops due diligence standards, and
executes USAAs investment objectives in a risk-conscious manner.Job
- Leads design and oversees implementation of USAAs investment
strategy, considering USAAs business strategy and nuanced
supervisory expectations, including how they apply in a matrixed
- Role models USAAs mission, core values, culture and desired
behaviours including a sound risk culture.
- Develops talent in the investment department to deliver
performance and results including the identification, development
and retention of talent with requisite investment strategy
capabilities as well as providing leadership and overseeing
performance management and staff development activities.
- Supervises and drives operational planning of the investment
department including core business processes and technologies.
- Oversees funding, budgeting and execution of investment
initiatives and projects across the businesses and legal
- Holds self and others accountable for meeting commitments by
setting and clearly communicating expectations and roles and
responsibilities relative to investment strategy.Technical and Risk
- Provides strategic intent and directional guidance to the
finance organization in support of CIO and Investment Strategy
- Selects, monitors and manages relationships with the underlying
- Provides overall direction on strategic asset allocation for
client assets and works closely with the client teams to design
investment policy and design asset allocation modelling tools to
automate the portfolio management function.
- Maintains effective and efficient investment processes and
explores innovative and new approaches to the investment process at
- Creates risk and investment guidelines and develops and
implements controls to safeguard the assets of funds.
- Develops, communicates, and reinforces, risk appetite and risk
tolerance throughout the investment department in a manner that
causes all employees to align their risk-taking decisions.
- Develops due diligence standards and oversees the development
of functional policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Identifies opportunities and facilitates transformative
improvements to operating models and systems.
- Builds analytical frameworks for asset allocation and manager
selection including intensive quantitative and qualitative fund
- Identifies, assesses, measures, monitors, and controls material
risk consistent with the risk appetite and risk tolerance,
including the development, adherence, monitoring, reporting on risk
limits and risk limit utilization in the investment
- Notifies 2nd line of defense risk managers when investment
portfolio limits are breached and collaborates with them to
determine corrective actions. Responds to 2nd line of defense risk
management inquiries on investment portfolio strategy, performance,
and risk measurements.
- Serves as a subject matter expert to support 2nd line of
defense challenge ALM and balance sheet management strategies.
- Engages with internal audit during periodic reviews of the risk
- Maximizes return on invested funds by identifying investment
opportunities and maintaining strong relationships with the
investment community of USAA.
- Manages the investment portfolio of the corporation and
balances portfolio risk and return with corporate objectives.
- Provides regular communication to executive management
regarding changes in regulations, risks, portfolio performance and
market factors affecting valuation of related financial instruments
under management.Governance CommitteesInteracts with or
participates in enterprise governance committees, such as:
- USAA Investment Committee
- Asset Liability Management Steering Committee
- Corporate Asset Liability Management Committee
- FSB Asset Liability Management Committee
- Enterprise Market and Credit Risk CommitteeEducation
- Bachelors degree is required.
- Advanced degree such as MBA or Finance is preferred.Experience
- A minimum of 12 years of experience in technical discipline
(e.g. portfolio management) with a proven track record leading
comparable operations and programs is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of people leadership experience in
building, managing and/or developing high-performing teams is
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in a large
financial institution ($100 billion +), including 5+ years
post-Dodd Frank, in a senior staff role within an investment or
finance department is preferred.Regulatory
Understanding*Demonstrated understanding of the full spectrum of
regulatory actions, including examinations and other supervisory
engagement and processes, such as:
- OCC rules and regulations, including the heightened standards
- Regulations related to management of investment securities, and
as overseen by Federal Reserve, OCC, FDIC, NAIC and State
RegulatorsCertificationsIndustry certification such as Chartered
Financial Analyst (CFA) certification is preferred.Preferred
ExperienceChartered Financial Analyst, CFADemonstrated experience
interacting with regulatory agenciesDemonstrated experience
operating across insurance and banking regulatory
environmentsDemonstrated experience implementing or operating with
appropriate Risk, Controls and frameworksThis position will be
posted internally stating January 6, 2020 and will end on January
13, 202 at 11:59PM CST
Keywords: USAA, El Paso , VP Chief Investment Officer, Executive , El Paso, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!