Student Services Coach
Company: Strategic Education, Inc.
Location: El Paso
Posted on: August 6, 2022
The Academic Coach serves as the primary contact for students
from participation in first courses through completion of the
degree program. The Academic Coach manages a pipeline of students
by coaching, motivating, mentoring, removing barriers, issue
ownership through resolutions, strategies for completion, and
progress. They help students clarify key decision points and
identify solutions and alternatives which align with the learner's
motivation and goals. Utilizing strong relationship building and
influencing skills resulting in positive student behaviors and
outcomes, contributing to overall student success and persistence.
The coach is responsible for providing personalized interactions to
assist students in successfully navigating the path to achieve
educational goals. The academic coach will provide outreach at key
milestones and based on identified behaviors throughout students
program to help keep them on track and to assist with overcoming
obstacles that are encountered, by offering personalized solutions
to help prepare them for long-term success. The academic coach also
partners with faculty and other university staff to address student
concerns and collaboratively define available options to help
students overcome obstacles and achieve academic success.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Academic Planning & Engagement.
* Assist students in developing an academic plan that includes all
program requirements to enable the most direct path to completion
and align with their educational and career goals.
* Leverage tools, systems, and software applications to optimize
* Build a relationship with the student to encourage student
success and engagement.
* Utilize program analytics and outreach protocols to drive
purpose-driven and transformational conversations.
* Help students navigate changes in their programs and plans and
understand and respond to Strayer-initiated changes.
* Explore alignment of students educational and financial plans in
relation to degree completion.
* Provide resources and refer students to university support
* Assess student needs to help them make fully informed decisions
about their pathways as well as challenging them to make progress
toward their goals.
* Progress monitoring and academic risk mitigation.
* Proactively reach out to students identified as at-risk,
including but not limited to, lack of engagement, academic
standing, the pace of progress, course completion, gaps in
* Provide students with exceptional customer service.
* Highlight and address potential barriers that may impact
persistence, success, and completion.
* Encourage students to develop skills and abilities indirect
resolution of challenges and issues, coordinate with faculty,
academic leadership, and student facing teams to seek resolution of
* Coach students through disruptive life events.
* Respond to the student via a wide variety of communication tools
and systems including, but not limited to phone, voicemail, chat,
email, casework, and social media.
* Collaborate with faculty and other university leaders handling
escalated student situations and supporting conflict
* Communication and interaction.
* Maintain appropriate and accurate documentation of all student
interactions in accordance with departmental best practices.
* Program, process, and policy subject matter expertise.
* Serves and Strayer Universities subject matter experts concerning
programs, processes, and policies in meetings, committees, and
* Monitor and communicate trends impacting student persistence,
success, and completion, discuss obstacles and challenges to the
* Build trusted professional relationships across the business.
* Participate in projects or initiatives that support departmental
* Support and participate in departmental and cross-functional
* Research and stay abreast of issues and trends in other
institutions of higher education.
* Any other duties as assigned based on the needs of the
* Ability to drive results in a team-based environment.
* Ability to understand key metrics and utilize self-service
reporting and tools to monitor and share data.
* Ability to influence positive student behaviors and outcomes.
* Thinking and judgment.
* Fundamental understanding of business acumen to successfully
balance student and university needs.
* Ability to exercise keen discretion and ethical judgment in
responding to complex student situations.
* Ability to adapt quickly and thrive in a fast-paced, changing
* Ability to respond positively to consistent change.
* Ability to think critically to build plans of action and
* Comfortable representing a complex program requiring in-depth,
* Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information.
* Ability to work with others.
* Ability to prioritize the needs of the student, and committed to
providing an excellent student experience.
* Ability to quickly understand problems and provide proactive
* Ability to form positive working relationships, foster an
effective team atmosphere, and promote a collaborative environment
with the student, faculty, staff, and leadership.
* Ability to work effectively and efficiently with a diverse
* Ability to manage conflict. Motivated and engaged by frequent and
occasionally challenging interactions.
* Ability to develop trust and hold others accountable to
* Ability to access challenging situations and effectively
communicating with leadership.
* Ability to maintain department guidelines for interacting with
and responding to students and SU stakeholders.
* Ability to manage time effectively by prioritizing and evaluating
work to manage a variety of daily activities.
* Ability to juggle multiple tasks and handle competing
* Ability to demonstrate resilience and respond appropriately to
* Ability to be self-aware and behave appropriately with a
commitment to continuous self-improvement.
* Ability to self-direct and follow through on assigned tasks while
working both independently and collaboratively.
* Motivated in a fast-paced, high-intensity environment driven by
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to manage multiple tasks at a time.
* Ability to work autonomously.
* Ability to maintain best practices for learner interaction: Each
interaction involves discovering needs, understanding the
situation, recommending options and customized solutions,
determining a way forward, and always engaging and listening to the
needs of the learner.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to communicate through a variety of channels/systems.
* Foundational understanding of the advising discipline- both from
an educational and career perspective.
* Ability to evaluate and learn new computer software applications
* Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel,
* Work/Location Requirements:
* Must be able to spend significant time working at a computer and
on the phone using a headset.
* Must be flexible in work hours/schedule to accommodate learner
* Position may require work above and beyond 40 hours per week
during peak periods.
* High level of enthusiasm, drive, and determination is required in
* Strong attention to detail.
* Must be able to learn, understand and apply new technologies.
* Must have strong computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Excellent presentation skills.
* Prefer two to four years of professional experience using
advanced coaching, critical thinking, and problem-solving
* Experience working with adult students and/or faculty are
* Ability to address customer's concerns in a positive tone.
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution required.
* Master's degree from an accredited institution preferred.
* Specific degree from an accredited institution may be preferred
based on school and program assignment.
* Must be able to travel 0 - 10% of the time.
* Must be able to lift 20lbs.
* Typical Office setting.
* Mobility within the office including movement from floor to
* Travel via plane, car, and metro may be required to perform this
* Must be able to work more than 40 hours per week when business
needs a warrant.
* Access information using a computer.
* Effectively communicate, both up and down the management
* Effectively cope with stressful situations.
* Strong mental acuity.
* Regular, dependable attendance and punctuality are essential
functions of this job.
* Other essential functions and marginal job functions are subject
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our
application process, please contact our Human Resources Department
Keywords: Strategic Education, Inc., El Paso , Student Services Coach, Education / Teaching , El Paso, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!